Yay I finished!
Amy Butler Birdie Sling made from a leftover curtain given to me by my lovely friend Mandy who has wonderful taste in home decoration but luckily for me changes her mind frequently (the treasures I have in my home thanks to this woman no longer being able to stand the sight of something!!!) made for my friend K for her birthday, and I’ve actually given it to her now so can blog about it. GO ME!
It took me ages to unpick the curtain and turn it into three nice separate pieces but luckily Lost was on Saturday night, Flash Forward has restarted and of course there’s always Glee to plonk yourself in front of when such tasks are necessary. After the unpicking I had this horrible feeling that there wasn’t going to be quite enough fabric but after some careful placing I managed to do it using the curtain lining for the lining of the bag. I know I’m soooo original.
Now for those of you who have made an Amy Butler Birdie Sling before (says me with my vast experience of making the grand total of ONE before) you will know that the time consuming part is cutting and interfacing. I chose a medium weight iron on interfacing with my medium weight fabric because last time used light weight after reading several recommendations and this just didn’t float my boat, I’ve found that now I’m using my bag it’s just too flimsy for my needs.
I have never used any other kind of interfacing other than iron on but did find with the ithinksew Amy bag (too many Amy’s!) that I must have done something wrong as the Heavy Weight iron on interfacing seemed to be on fast until I started stitching…when it started peeling away.
There’s me ironing the final bit of interfacing (yes Mr B I do iron sometimes!) and shortly after I’d finished I did a little jig around the kitchen because it meant I could FINALLY start sewing!
I’m not going to take you through every step because the instructions are so simple even I can do it, but you start with the pockets.
Slight modification here as I found the pockets in the pattern are just too damn big so I took the smallest pocket, decreased the height by 1/3 and voila…
For some reason this photo makes it look like the pocket isn’t central but I promise it is.
Next the pleats and then sewing to the bands to the main panels…
One too many pins maybe?
and then you sew it all together and you get the finished article. THE END.
Okay, okay I may have got a bit too into the sewing bit and forgot to take any more photos. Bad blogger (slaps back of own hand).
Now, they ran out of magnetic closures at my local fabric shop and that’s kind of the only place that sells stuff like that round here so I improvised, as one thing that K specified was that she would like to be able to close her bag.
Before you see the photo I want you to know I’m not 100% happy (or even 50% tbh) with the result but I can unpick it if K decides she she really cannot live with the shame.
Yes people that is a black button and a hair band. It was all I had and I searched the whole house (hangs head in shame and shuffles away from laptop before perfectionists everywhere hurl abuse at total lack of button coordination)
So there we have it chaps a finished (albeit flawed) Amy Butler Birdie Sling
P.S. You may have noticed I use exclamation marks a lot. You’re going to have to get used to it, I’m told it’s something to do with not being hugged enough as a child ;)